We sell beef by the quarter, half or whole beef. The quarter is a split half where you get some cuts from both the front and back. In order to ensure fairness, the quarter order is standardized. If you order a half or a whole beef, you get a custom cut just the way you want it.
We only process the steers when they are finished. This means that they have a covering of fat and increased marbling. This usually happens when the animals are between 24 and 28 months of age and depends on the condition of the pastures. We are dependent upon the whims of Mother Nature! Steers are typically available for processing June to September.
Buying Beef Timeline
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 325-348-3014 to verify the availability of steers.
- Mail your non-refundable deposit check to : McClatchy Ranch, 12300 FM 1176, Bangs, Texas 76823.
- When the steer is finished AND all quarters are reserved, an appointment is made at the processor. This can sometimes take a few weeks to get an appointment.
- The animal is taken to the processor and a hanging weight is obtained. We inform you of the weight and the balance of payment is due and needs to be sent at this point.
- If you are buying a half or a whole beef, you will be sent a cut order to fill out and return.
- The beef hangs about 3 weeks to dry age.
- The meat is cut, packaged and frozen.
- You pay the processor for the processing charge and pick up your meat at Santa Anna Processing, 503 Wallis Ave, Santa Anna, Texas 76878.
- Take it home, put it in the freezer and then cook up a nice juicy steak!
Pricing and Weights
Our pricing is based on the hanging weight which is after the animal is slaughtered but before it is cut up and packaged. There is the cost for the beef which comes to McClatchy Ranch and then the cost of the processing which goes directly to the butcher plus a flat kill fee. The pricing and weights below are based on an average animal with a live weight of 1,000 pounds. The figures for weight and total pricing are estimates only to help with planning. The TOTAL AMOUNT WILL VARY WITH THE INDIVIDUAL ANIMAL due to weight differences. The amount of packaged meat will also depend on how you have it cut. For instance if you have soup bones if will weigh more etc.
estimated hanging wt.
300 lbs. *
600 lbs. *
beef price per lb.
processing per lb.
estimated total cost
estimated finished wt.
105 lbs. *
210 lbs. *
420 lbs. *
* All figures for estimated hanging weight, estimated total cost and estimated final weight are for planning purposes only. YOUR BEEF WILL VARY due to the natural differences in animals and how you have it cut.